Monday 4 January 2010

Back to work again

although in reality I have never been away.  As I live so close to my studio I have been in there at some point every day over the holiday period.  Today though I have decided that I need to be a bit more focussed and disciplined about what I do, now everyone else is back at work too.  I have been trying to make a set of glass beads for a bracelet but couldn't quite decide on the exact colour I wanted.  In theory I needed only 9 beads but now have the kiln on annealing a fairly large batch.  Some of them a light blue with flecks of gold; others or transparent with aventurine old gold frit so look quite dark.  I have experimented a bit with transparent and inclusions of fine silver (but had a fairly high failure rate so am not holding out much hope for these) and I ended up by making a few more of my odd bird beads.

I also finally got around to cutting a negative shape in faux bone to use in my press to form another bird shape from a thin sheet of sterling silver.  I still haven't really got to grips with press forming.  I can see the potential for making multiples of shapes but at the moment still have a preference for casting if I want to produce multiples of anything.  All that work and nothing to show you!

No comments: