I have spent the last couple of days re-organising the studio. When I went to the Guild of Enamellers annual conference just after easter I collected a hydraulic press but decided not to assemble it until after the Open Studios. I finally got around to it this weekend and now it is safely bolted into position on the workbench and ready to use. Now I need to source some acrylic preferably from somewhere that can cut shapes.
I have also had an old kiln refurbished. This large kiln orig
inally belonged to the enameller May Yarker and I have just had it re-built by Corby Kilns
I am really looking forward to being able to make some larger enamels but will have to take a bit of time and care planning them as it would be a shame to waste such large pieces of copper. This kiln will take a panel approximately 30cm square but of course it does mean everything will be so much heavier to lift in and out. I have some of May's original tools and kilns supports and now just need to pluck up the courage to try it.